---The majority of our citizens are, perhaps, not aware of the improvements that have been going on in the rear of Crosby Block, during the past season, confined as the scene of operations is by Brooks, Crosby and Market Blocks and the engine house. But now that the work is approaching completion, it is fitting that the Press should take up the subject, and convey to the reading purblic some idea of the results of the employment together of labor and capital. On the 15th of July, 1870, Messrs. Crosby & Rice began the excavations for the large brick block they proposed erecting on Main street, on the site where, the previous autumn, fire had done its devastating work. The new building extended northward 200 feet, and 70 feet to the rear; three stories in hight. It was occupied by the tenants in seven months from commencement of building operations, and its convenience excited the wonder that we ever got along without it. During the Summer of 1871 they built the two story brick block on Elliot street, styled Market Block. In the same season, we believe, they put up a two story 75 by 25 wooden building, in the rear of the large block, devoted to various mechanical purposes, steam power being furnished by a small ten-horse engine. In April, 1873, they erected a three story brick building, 46 by 26, occupied by Messrs. Leonard & Roess as a cigar factory, and shortly after added a two story, 20 by 40 L,---naming the whole Center Block, and removed the engine from the wooden building to the basement of the L. The present summer they have added to the north side of Center Block, still another and longer building, and it is of this last addition that we propose to speak more particularly.
It is 80 feet in length by 28 in width, and three stories high, with basement. The latter is about nine feet in hight, the next two stories, nine feet, and the third, eleven feet. The east end of the basement is occupied by O. A. Libby, the room being 36 feet by 25 in size, and containing two cylinder printing presses. Next is a room 19 by 25 feet, containing the Record And Farmer cylinder press; these two rooms being reached from the south side by an entry way three feet in width. Next is the main entrance, from the north side, eight feet wide, and beyond a 28 by 17 room to be used for storing coal. On the first floor is Libby's job printing office, 28 by 25. Next is a shop room of the same size, with power to rent, then stairway and hall, eight feet, and another room, 16 by 28, without power. Frank Curtis occupies the second floor with his screw making machinery. The second floor of the old L, reached from the same entry as Curtis' rooms, is occupied by E. M. Douglas' stencil die works. The third floor is being finished for a hall, extending over the whole of the new building and also over the engine building, which has been raised one story, to the same hight as the new part, making a hall sufficiently large to seat 400 persons or a dancing party of 50 couples. Twenty-one windows furnish an ample amount of daylight, and it is to be heated by steam. At the west end are two 14 by 17 ante-rooms. The three buildings now incorporated in one, make a solid brick block of much importance to the town, as it accommodates so many branches of mechanical work. It is situated in what is now called Harmony Place, is entitled Harmony Block, the hall also bearing the same name---Harmony Hall. A twenty horse power engine is to take the place of the one now in use, and a large steam pump is also to be put in, which the village bailiffs contemplate employing for fire extinguishing purposes when necessary. The old wooden building has been removed to the rear of the Brooks House, immediately north of the stable, and will be used as a carriage shed.
View From Brooks House Barn Blue Room
Sanford Fire Insurance Map
---The fourth of the Harmony Hall free course of lectures, by Rev. Lewis Grout, on Thursday evening of last week.---subject: "South Africa,"---was well attended, considering the darkness and slushy walking. First noticing the fact that, in the grand division of the earth among those who survived the flood, the continent of Africa fell to Ham and his family. The lecturer went on to speak of the circumnavigation made by the Phoenecians under the auspices of Pharaoh Necho, King of Egypt, some 600 years before the Christian Era, and how sailors drew up their rude ships and went ashore, to grow supplies, from time to time during the year's voyage. Then followed a brief account of efforts made in the 15th century, to find a new way to the Indies, in the progress of which the Cape of Good Hope and then the district of Natal were discovered. The speaker then gave a rapid, panoramic sketch of that most interesting sub-tropical region, sometimes called "Zulu land," its general appearance and character, its terraces, "kloofs" and mountains, its open, grassy fields and prairie lands, its rivers and water-falls, its wonderful geological structure and exhibitions, its climate, seasons, hail and thunder storms, the wonderful forms and colors of the lightnings track, a bird's eye view of the nocturnal heavens, and then a glance at the marvelous wealth and beauty of the vegetable kingdom in that sunny clime, the trees, grasses, ferns, palms, fruits, flowers and other botanical productions, of which no less than 18,000 species have already been discovered. The speaker then laid aside his notes and gave his hearers a brief and lively look at a few incidents of a personal character,---as in his voyage from Boston to Cape Town and his stay there, in his passage thence to Natal, and in some of his travels in that land,---how the romance and the realities of life are often mingled there, in their largest measures,---in finding or making roads, swimming rivers, camping out for the night, losing oxen, horses and sometimes himself in a land of wild beasts and wild men. The speaker then remarked that he had intended to give some account of the animal kingdom, wild beasts, birds, insects and reptiles and some account of the people also, but found it impossible to bring it all into one lecture, and so closed with the Lord's Prayer in the Zulu language.
Three Tenements & Sidney A. Morse Livery Stables In Front
Daniel L. Milliken House & Vermont Record And Farmer Press Toward Back
Green Street In Distance
Late In 1869