Thomas Easterly, Daguerreotype Taken 1844-5
Thomas Martin Easterly was born in Guilford, Vermont to Tunis and Philomela Easterly on October 31, 1809. Easterly first taught calligraphy and penmanship, residing in Montpelier, Vermont from October 1835 through the following April, with customers such as E. P. Walton.
With an extensive practice by 1838, and teaching practical business handwriting chiefly at the blackboard in the High School Hall in Brattleboro, Easterly bought a house in November 1839 just north of the mill pond at lower Main Street, that he sold finally in September 1841 to the papermaker Nathan Woodcock.
Thomas Easterly then learned the daguerreotype process in New York, possibly with Charles and Richard Meade, and spent 1844 in New Orleans in business. He returned to Brattleboro in 1845, taking his views from the summit of Wantastiquet, but by October he was established in Iowa, soon taking daguerreotypes of Plains Indians.
In frontier St. Louis, Missouri, Easterly opened a daguerreotype studio on the corner of Fourth and Olive Streets, near where the St. Louis Arch stands today. His mastery of the daguerreotype is apparent even in his earliest known works.
taken June 18th 1847 at 9 o'clock P. M. By T. M. Easterly
St. Louis, Mo.
Self Portrait In Daguerreotype 1855
Silver-Plated Copper Base, 1/6 Plate Size
Taken At His Cutler's Block Studio On Main Street
Courtesy Of Gunter Mueller, VinimagePlus, vinimageplus.com
In May 1856 John L. Lovell took an ambrotype glassplate view of Brattleboro from a location about one-third of the way up Wantastiquet. This ambrotype was engraved by John H. Bufford, Lithography, 313 Washington Street, in Boston. John Batchelder of Boston published this lithograph for sale in August 1856.
Centre Congregational Church, Unitarian Church, Central School
John Lovell's ambrotype here shows the Centre Congregational Church with its chapel built in 1854 and its horse sheds in back, with its steeple still placed within the church, ten years before the tempest that toppled it. Also seen is the Universalist Church, and the Central School.
The Asahel Clapp house, the Connecticut River boathouse, and the narrow track that became Grove Street, are all captured by the lens and the long glassplate exposure which ambrotype required in 1856.
Another detail shows the Central School, and north from it the residence of Daniel P. Kingsley, which was later owned by Phillip Wells, then by Gen. John W. Phelps. Ferdinand Tyler's house stands next north. Asher Spencer's house stands at the corner of Walnut Street, with poplar trees nearby---
Bradley Farm, Asylum Cemetery Woods, North Main Street, Asa Keyes House
Years later this lithograph was described with all the changes that had taken place in over thirty years---
---Frost & Proctor's window has this week the focus of a good deal of interest. The reason was the appearance there of an old lithograph of Brattleboro, John Batchelder artist, and published by the Buffords in 1856. It shows a very small village as compared to the present. Esteyville was a pasture, Prospect Hill, "Spauldings Pine Woods" as it was called then, a forest, the Chapin district of couse was open, there was no Oak street, no Grove or Tyler, or Brook, or Forest or Frost streets, no Harris Place, not a house on Terrace street and only five houses in all that section between Walnut and North Main streets, no houses on High street or Western Avenue north of the Unitarian parsonage, nothing in all that section now occupied by Mechanics Square, only two on Birge street, nothing where the Estey shops, the Smith & Hunt and the Carpenter works now stand, nothing but four houses on Flat street, no Episcopal church, no gas house.
The village consisted of the Canal and Clark street, the Elliot, Green and High, and the Main and North Main street districts with little tendrils running out Chase and Walnut streets. One of the prominent landmarks in those days was the "bowling alley" kept by Josh Clark and set on stilts 25 or 30 feet high on the river bank, about back of the Congregational church, and reached by a stairway from Main street. In those days our moral sentiment couldn't tolerate such a resort and it had to get into New Hampshire jurisdiction.
Another interesting relic is a slave driver's whip, which a runaway negro presented to the late Chas C. Frost in the days before the war. Mr. Frost, who was an ardent abolitionist, kept a sort of station for the "underground railway," and the fugitive slaves, being lodged at Greenfield, would be forwarded to him, he would feed and lodge them and pay their way to the next friend north. It was a work that had to be conducted very secretly, and few citizens knew much about it even then; but large numbers of the unfortunates were befriended by him in this way.
Windham County Reformer, May 22, 1891.
Main Street 1854
Daguerreotype By John L. Lovell
John Lyman Lovell instructed his student George Harper Houghton in the art of the daguerreotype for three years, beginning in 1852. George Houghton's well-known photograph of Main Street looking north was taken a decade later, with the camera placed in the upper-floor window of the large brick house of Anthony Van Doorn, seen at the left in Lovell's 1854 daguerreotype.
The large house at the right was built by Elihu Hotchkiss late in the eighteenth century. His nephew, Elihu Hotchkiss Thomas---Brattleboro's first daguerreotypist---may have sold his images by "the pencil of nature" here, beginning in March 1841, or at his brick shop six rods south from the Whetstone bridge---
John Lyman Lovell eventually sold his premises to Jeremiah D. Wells and Frederick N. Kneeland of Northampton, Massachusetts, praising their skill and gentlemanly manner.
Reed's Hill Seen From Main Street
Caleb Lysander Howe
View West From Brattleboro Common
Caleb L. Howe Photograph, Attributed To 1854
Lithograph By Fred Meyer & Co., N. Y. 1861
Portrait In Sphereotype
Courtesy Of Jonathan Webb
Scantic Antiques, East Longmeadow, Massachusetts
Caleb L. Howe experimented with the sphereotype, an innovative process patented by Albert Bisbee on May 27, 1856. The sphereotype was a positive collodion on glass, exposed through a spherical mask the desired size of its frame. This unidentified couple's portrait was possibly taken for their wedding.
Relievo Ambrotype By Caleb L. Howe
Tentative Identification, Charles N. Davenport Of Wilmington, Vermont
Mary A. Butterfield
Married January 10, 1867 To Lucien A. Elmer
Mary Butterfield was the daughter of Franklin Butterfield and Mary Holland, who lived on a farm on Wickopee Hill in Dummerston. C. L. Howe's photograph shows the "woman of quiet, gentle nature".
Emil Apfelbaum was born in Dantzig, Prussia in 1829, and loved singing his old country's songs in a powerful singing voice. In Caleb Howe's ambrotype, he is wearing his Prussian cap. Emil was six and a half feet tall, with a long, black beard. He worked as the manager for the Lawrence Water Cure, then as bookkeeper for twenty-five years with the Estey Company. Emil had an interest in the Fire Department, and during the Civil War worked with the U. S. Sanitary Commission. Emil's wife was Augusta Apfel.
Mrs. Everett W. Phillips
Stella C. Barrett Or Elizabeth A. McLean
By Caleb L. Howe
Caleb L. Howe & Sons Photograph July 1879
Baptist Church With North Tower Only
St. Michael's Episcopal Church
Centre Congregational Church With New Chapel
Gravel Pit Above Railroad Tracks
Woman Walking South Along Meadow Lane, Later Oak Street
Old High School, Far Right, Wing On South Side
Caleb L. Howe
Mary Howe, Portrait By Caleb L. Howe
John C. Howe
George Harper Houghton
Civil War Camp At Brattleboro In 1861
First Vermont Volunteers
George Harper Houghton, In Detail, Photographer
George H. Houghton's Late 1866 Photograph
George Houghton's Main Street Photograph takes a well-known 1866 glassplate negative photograph which shows the view north from the Anthony Van Doorn house, and enlarges different areas within it to reveal its heretofore hidden, magnificent details---
August 26, 1864
Celebration For The Seventh Vermont Regiment
August 26, 1864
George Houghton's Photograph
The regiment arrived in Brattleboro at 11 o'clock A. M. on the 26th of Aug. It formed in line and marched through Main street to the field at the north end of the village, where it was reviewed. . .After the speech, the regiment was marched back to the Town Hall, where it was welcomed to a collation by the town of Brattleboro. . .
Vermont Phoenix, September 2, 1864.
This photograph shows the flags at the Town Hall, the Revere House, the Brattleboro House, the old Steen's Corner, and in the foreground, the hitching posts, rail and chain link fence bordering the St. Michael's Episcopal Church yard. Also seen here are men and boys in various activities, including a young player on the recorder, the harp, or the penny whistle.
Revere House, Brattleboro House, Steen's Corner
George Harper Houghton is remembered for his photographs taken during the Peninsular Campaign in Virginia, in the War Between the States, following the 2nd Vermont Regiment to Camp Griffin in November 1861, and to Wolf Run Shoals in April 1863.
In Brattleboro, Houghton photographed scores of veterans during June 1864 with the return of the 8th Vermont Regiment to Brattleboro, during August 1864 with the Seventh Vermont Regiment, in September 1864 with the Fourth Vermont Regiment, and for years before---
Willis Herbert Phillips
Corner Main Street, Elliot Street, Blake Block
Before May 1869
Willis Herbert Phillips was born on July 2, 1855 in Stratton, Vermont to Aaron Willis Phillips and Lomira "Almira" Submit Hale. His family relations worked for the Estey company. Since this photograph was taken in spring, and the Blake Block burned in later 1869, W. H. Phillips must have been fourteen years old or younger at this time. His camera is in the offices of Caleb Lysander Howe, so it seems likely that Willis was Caleb's apprentice.
W. H. Phillips married Alice Mary Newell, and boarded in an Estey house on Frost Street. Alice conducted a hair and fancy goods shop on Main Street, opposite the Brooks House, upstairs, during 1884. At this time, Willis was the partner in the photography studio Wyatt & Phillips, and lived in the house at 10 Washington Street. By 1903, Phillips was resident in Bennington. Willis Herbert Phillips died on January 11, 1925 and is buried in Morningside Cemetery.
Jason Ward Prouty
William R. Crowell, Daisy E. Crowell
Photograph By Jason W. Prouty About 1888
William "Will" Ransom Crowell and his sister Daisy E. Crowell were the children of Hiland Ransom Crowell and Lillian "Lillie" Estabrooks. William was born on June 2, 1879 and Daisy on August 12, 1884.
Jason Ward Prouty, known as J. W. Prouty was born in Spencer, Massachusetts on October 23, 1849 to Plummer Prouty and Sarah Gould Holman. The family removed to Wilmington, Vermont in 1857.
Jason Prouty married first, Emma Ella Smith of Chesterfield, New Hampshire on November 10, 1874. Their daughter Minna Sarah, "Minnie" was born on September 17, 1876. J. W. Prouty was resident in Brattleboro by 1877, but his marriage ended in divorce. In 1887 the photographer was living at 19 Washington Street.
During 1897 J. W. Prouty was living in Wahpeton, Richland, North Dakota.
Jason Prouty was living in 1900 in the household of Annette Newton at the Brattleboro Retreat. He was living in Marlboro, Vermont when he married second, in Albany, New York, on May 20, 1903, Ellen A. Newton, the daughter of Charles Newton and Annette E. Horton. Prouty was listed as a printer in Albany.
In his final year, Jason W. Prouty was a director in the Spencer, Massachusetts boot and shoe concern, Isaac Prouty & Co. Prouty died on April 12, 1910, survived by his wife Ellen and by his daughter Minna, a stenographer and bookkeeper in Greenfield, Massachusetts, who died in June 1966 at eighty-nine years.
David A. Henry
Edward Crosby's Flour Mill In Summer 1857
New Connecticut River Bridge Partly Built
Robert Pender's Fort On Wantastiquet Peak
Portrait Of A Young Woman By David A. Henry
Canal Street, Clark Street
David A. Henry Photographer
This woman with a stricken expression is identified only as "E. Morse". She is possibly Elizabeth W. Potter, the wife of Wareham Morse, who was a saddler, like his son Henry P. Morse, conducting a harness shop in West Brattleboro Village on the Main Street and by the "Tannery Pond"---nearly opposite the Congregational church---during 1873 to 1880.
Elizabeth died on August 7, 1879. Her death was "Accidental". Wareham Morse died on March 8, 1880. His death was from "Over-dose of medicine". Henry P. Morse died on January 31, 1881. His death was from "Scrofula in head".
David A. Henry was born in Canada about 1828. He married Martha, and took stereoscopic views of the Brooks House, the Whetstone Falls, and documented the disastrous April 1869 flood. His three children were Walter E., Frank E., and Annie M. Henry.
David A. Henry removed to his farm in Guilford in 1878, on Lots 112 and 113 in District No. 14. In 1894 he served on the Board of Trustees of the Guilford Free Library.
Arthur Damon Wyatt
Nellie May Gray, Mrs. Dr. Willard Henry Pierce
Portrait By A. D. Wyatt
Arthur Damon Wyatt
Delano Dana Dunklee
Blake Block Fire
Stereoscope By Delano Dana Dunklee, Called D. D. Dunklee
Delano Dana Dunklee was born on April 13, 1848 in Williamsville, Newfane, Vermont to Emory Dunklee and Wealthy Ann Evans. By 1870 he was living in Brattleboro with twenty-one other household tenants. D. D. Dunklee married Mary Adelpha Burnett on June 1, 1875.
Dunklee removed to Greenfield, Massachusetts, where he is credited in the patent granted for an improved photographic print mounter on January 22, 1894, and on June 2, 1899 for an egg-holder and alarm patent. Delano Dunklee died in Brattleboro on July 29, 1933 at age eighty-five.
Early Stereoview By Delano Dana Dunklee
Looking South On Asylum Street, Now Linden Street