Ezra Clark and Dr. Willard Arms' store was "At the Sign of the Good Samaritan". The Arms, Clark & Company was "a small wooden building" standing on the east side of Main Street, just north from the first house owned by Nathan B. Williston. The site is now the southwest corner of the Centre Congregational Church lawn.
The Land Records deed describes the Lombardy poplar that grew by the store. The building apparently stood at right angles to Main Street. Sarah Hall's garden grew immediately to its south. This building was originally the printing office for William Fessenden's newspaper, the "Brattleborough Reporter", beginning in 1803.
After November 1806 this building served as the watch, gold, and silver warehouse for John Birge's jewelry store "At the Sign of the Gold Watch". John Birge liked to paint his properties yellow, most likely using the barrels of ochre that had been excavated from Mine Mountain alongside Wantastiquet.
The Bank of Brattleboro later occupied this site and quite likely this identical building. It also was painted yellow. When it was finally torn down, parts of it helped to construct an addition to the back of the Williston Block.
Drawn By Henry E. Brewster On Tuesday, April 30th, 1850
One Door North Of The Williston Stone Building
Main Street, East Side, Looking North-West
This house was built by Dr. Willard Arms, who practiced in Brattleboro from 1804 to 1818. It stood just south from the Arms, Clark & Co. store. Willard Arms sold this house and his practice to Dr. Artemas Robbins, who remained in Brattleboro until about 1826 or 1827. Nathan B. Williston later took this house for his first residence.