The 20-pounder parrott gun loaned by the government to Sedgwick Post, Grand Army of the Republic, has been mounted and placed this week. The permission of the selectmen was obtained and the cannon placed in front of the soldiers' monument on the Common.
The carriage on which the gun is mounted was made from plans loaned through the kindness of E. F. Griswold of St. Johnsbury, which he procured of the United States Navy, and is after a pattern of the naval gun carriage. It was made by Rockwell & Sherwin and is constructed of hard Norway pine.
Besides the gun, which weighs 1,750 pounds, ten shells, weighing one hundred twenty-seven pounds apiece, were contributed for pyramids for ornamentation on either side.
It is suggested that J. A. Taylor's name be presented for ordnance officer and commissioned as Captain of the Artillery for duty in the Philippines, for in less than fifteen minutes the gun was drawn from the depot, placed in position and mounted action front.
The committee who has had charge of the matter are: Gen. George H. Bond, Capt. T. Eason and O. Prescott.
Brattleboro Reformer, November 24, 1899.
Melted Down For World War I Scrap
With the permission of the selectmen the committee appointed by Sedgwick Grand Army post placed in position on the common, Wednesday, the 20-pounder Parrott gun loaned to the post by the government, a description of which has been published in The Phoenix. The carriage was built by Rockwell & Sherwin after the plans of the naval guns which are used for coast defence, the plans being kindly loaned to the post by E. F. Griswold of St. Johnsbury. The gun, which weighs about 1750 pounds, stands in front of the soldiers' monument and points toward the village. Near by is a pyramid of ten shells weighing 127 pounds each. The committee, consisting of G. H. Bond, T. W. Eason and O. Prescott, believes that had the government known of the qualifications of J. A. Taylor as an ordnance officer he would have been commissioned for duty in the Phillippines, as he loaded the gun and shells at the depot, took them to the common and placed them in position in a little over half an hour.
Vermont Phoenix, November 24, 1899.