Improvement.---The old brick building at the corner of Main and High-streets, so long known as "Steen's Corner," has been newly painted and otherwise burnished so that it looks "highly respectable." The paint has removed one old landmark. On the north side of the building the name of "Zelotes Dickinson" stood out in large and sharply defined black letters where it had defied rain, sleet and frost for more than a quarter of a century. But very few of the active business men of to-day can remember the condition of Brattleboro at that time, and not more than two firms in the village can antedate the painting of that sign. But, as we were saying, the building has a rejuvenated appearance. Its outside looks comely, and easy, clean and well lighted are the steps so constantly trod by the numerous customers of Capen's printing office.
Vermont Phoenix, May 12, 1860.
The old brick building corner of Main and High streets, of which mention was made last week, has received a profuse decoration of new signs which gives its front an attractive appearance. We were in error in stating that Zelotes Dickinson's name had been on the building more than a quarter of a century. It was placed there sometime in 1843. The building was built, we are informed, in 1808, by Oliver Chapin, who the same year built the house of which Frost & Goodhue's store forms a part. The store in the brick building was occupied successively by Oliver Chapin & Son, Geo. F. A. Atherton about the year 1815, Seymour & Atherton, Atherton & Root, Atherton alone, Howard Wells, Abel & James Houghton, Wm P. Cune from 1832 to 1837, Eugene W. Prouty from that time to 1842 or 3, Zelotes Dickinson about a year and by J. Steen and J. Steen & Son from 1844 to 1858.---During this period its interior has been remodelled quite as many times as it had different occupants.---The door to Retting's Furniture Ware Rooms is surmounted by a beautifully carved sign, over which is an excellent likeness of the American Eagle.
Vermont Phoenix, May 19, 1860.
Hon. Oliver Chapin was a member of General Washington's body-guard during the Revolution, and early in the present century came to Brattleboro, from Orange, Mass. He became one of the county judges and held other offices with credit to himself and honor to his constituents, being an eminently capable, enterprising and persevering man. Not only did he build several houses on Main street, destroyed by fire in 1869, but he was chiefly instrumental in building the first bridge connecting Brattleboro with New Hampshire.
Gazetteer and Business Directory of Windham County, Vt., 1724--1884.
Edited by Hamilton Childs.
(Syracuse, N. Y.: Printed at the Journal Office, July, 1884), p. 113.