Granite Block In 1840


Granite Block, 1840, Woodblock Engraving, Main Street Brattleboro.jpg

Granite Block, Main Street 1840


A Rare Find.


The above cut was resurrected yesterday morning from a lot of old effects in the basement of Pratt, Wright & Co.'s store. It represents the familiar Main street building now owned by D. S. and O. J. Pratt as it was about the year 1840.


The building was erected in 1835 by John H. Wheeler, who carried on business there. Later the firm was changed to F. H. Wheeler and Lucius G. Pratt, now of West Newton, Mass. Afterward Mr. Wheeler withdrew, and at the time which this cut represents, the firm consisted of L. G. Pratt and Leonard Wheeler, with D. S. Pratt as "Co."


They occupied the store where Pratt, Wright & Co. now are, while H. D. Brackett was a jeweler in what is now O. J. Pratt's store. Dr. Farwell was a well-known surgeon dentist, a prominent member of the Baptist church, and a leading citizen. The Phoenix was then under the ownership and management of Wm. E. Ryther, who is now enjoying a green old age at his home in Bernardston. The present French roof was put upon the building some 18 or 20 years ago.


The cut is itself an excellent piece of wood engraving, cut on one solid piece of boxwood from the heart of the tree, such as is now not often seen. It probably has not seen daylight before for 40 years. Altogether it is a rare find, such as our local readers, old and young, will appreciate.


Vermont Phoenix, April 11, 1890.


_____________________________________________________________________________


Granite Block In 1850


GraniteBlock,SemiWeeklyEagle,September,1850.jpg

Engraving From Semi-Weekly Eagle September 1850


GraniteBlock,ModernDay.jpg

Granite Block, Modern Day


-


-


-


-


-


-


-

Site Design © Vermont Technology Partners, Inc.