Meeting House Hill Cemetery 1880


Meeting House Hill Cemetery, December 30, 2011, Brattleboro, Vermont.jpg


The Old Cemetery Of Brattleboro.


North of Centreville is located the old cemetery of Brattleboro. It is a quiet retreat, overshadowed by a beautiful grove of pines, and was once fitted up substantially and with taste. We have visited it at eventide, as the last rays of the setting sun threw back their receding light, on moss-covered stone, grass and flowers, emblem of the receding light of life, mingling with the deep, dark shade of night that has no returning morn.


We have been told that the first church erected in town was located near this earth-home of the dead, and in imagination we could see the little band of devoted worshippers wending their way to the house of prayer.


Here was no costly tower or artistic chancel, but a beautiful simplicity of heart and life, allied to the simplicity of the life of Him who "spake as never man spake," and who should be worshipped in the beauty of holiness and in the garments of humility.


But the old church on the hill is gone, and no monumental stone points the traveller to its ancient place. Nothing remains but those time-worn tablets---reminders of the lives, with their hopes, and joys, and sorrows, of those who used to gather there in the days long since gone by.


Far up the rugged hillside,
Along the winding way,
And where the beams of morning
First light the smiling day,
And there o'erlooking valley,
With river calm and deep,
Then turning, sad and weary,
Where Death his vigils keep.

And there, at eventide,
Beneath the ancient pines,
We strayed among the monuments,
And traced the fading lines.


Not many have been gathered
In that sequestered ground;
Only a few are sleeping
Beneath the new-raised mound.

There only a few now roam
With sad and thoughtful tread;
Only a few remember
The faces of the dead.


As years successive hasten,
Our names from earth will perish,
And none will then remember
The loved who once were cherished.
The busy crowds will gather,
And tread the noisy street,
And none will then remember
The friends they used to meet.

The storms will rage above us,
The winds a requiem play,
O'er the forgotten and unlamented,
As the years shall pass away.


W.

Brattleboro, March 25, 1880.


The Vermont Record And Farmer, April 22, 1880.


_____________________________________________________________________________


The Gospel According To John
Chapter 7, Verses 45-46
King James Version


Then came the officers to the chief priests and Pharisees; and they said unto them, Why have ye not brought them? The officers answered, Never man spake like this man.


_____________________________________________________________________________


The precise location of the first meeting-house, built in 1768, was finally determined by an extensive study of the land records by the Hon. Hoyt Henry Wheeler, and through his correspondence with the Rev. Lewis M. Grout, and by visits to the cemetery with the sexton and grounds caretaker Ezra E. Fisher.


_____________________________________________________________________________


Death of Ezra E. Fisher Yesterday After 10 Days' Illness


Just south of the cemetery was built in 1768 the first meeting house in Brattleboro, which was in almost the geographical centre of the town. It was the only public building in town and was used also for town meetings. Mr. Fisher marked the site with a granite monument suitably inscribed, and in excavating for the foundation he found indications that the old meeting house stood exactly on the spot, uncovering the fire pit where the foot-stoves used in those days were replenished.


He also erected a monument to the unknown dead, some of whom were associated with the earliest history of the town, and suitable markers were placed to show the old "north road" and the road from Guilford, over which the old Green Mountain hero, Ethan Allen, passed in traveling from Guilford to Brattleboro.


Vermont Phoenix, March 31, 1911


Meeting House Hill, December 30, 2011, Pine Tree.jpg


-


-


-


-


-


-


-

Site Design © Vermont Technology Partners, Inc.