Some of the Interesting Things of Old Days---
A New Department Most Successfully Inaugurated.
A novel feature introduced this year as an experiment is the Department of Antiques. Here is found old furniture, silver, crockery, etc., some of the articles of historical interest and some being rare on account of great age. In this department F. W. Stowe, General agent Mutual Reserve Fund Life Association shows a number of interesting and valuable relics. A fireplace with all the accessories, andirons, a crane with a pert little black kettle, shovel and tongs, and a bright warming pan rested cosily by the fireplace. A set of drawers, formerly known as a "high-boy" 175 years old, a chair 200 years old, some rare and beautiful old crockery some of it nearly 200 years old. A curious pocket flask and a bottle, both relics of revolutionary times, a cocked hat, an old writing desk, a door knocker and the first electric machine ever used. Mr. Stowe also exhibits a number of valuable documents--one on parchment is a petition to the King in 1774; another is a roll call of 1809, and several commission papers. In old newspapers he has, The Hampshire Gazette 1799--Northampton, Mass., a New York Sun of June 20, 1834, containing the funeral services of Gen. Lafayette, Ulster County Gazette, Kingston, N. Y., Jan. 4, 1800, draped in black and giving full account of the funeral of Geo. Washington. Col. Miles also makes a good exhibit in this department. A handsome old-fashioned stand of solid mahogany on which is tastefully arranged a collection of rare old china and crockery; a spinning wheel, a child's chair so fascinating as to set one dreaming of the quaint little figures who once sat in it, and a chair which once belonged to the famous patriot Lieut-Gov. Carpenter, who lies buried in Guilford. Oscar T. Ware shows a very odd chair said to be 100 years old; Mrs. Kittredge Haskins a foot stove, Mrs. S. W. Packard a tea-set of glazed ware 100 years old, Mrs. B. Ranger a pair of cute little pointed slippers 100 years old. Mrs. G. D. Odell hand woven spread, pillow slips and table cloth 75 years old, C. A. Tripp, a pair of very old-fashioned tongs and a fiendish looking instrument for extracting teeth, Mrs. H. Clinton Pettee a prayer book, date of 1759 and a portrait of her mother on wood taken 65 years ago; Thompson Cain an ancient pipe and Thomas Cain a drinking cup said to be centuries old and which was carried by General Fleming in the battle of Waterloo; Mrs. H. E. Bangs a cut glass bottle 150 years old; Mrs. Avery Plummer a hat tree remarkable for its age and odd shape, a set of elegant andirons, foot stove etc. Capt. A. S. Stickney of Marlboro, an old sea captain who has traveled over a good part of this world, showed a pair of steer horns, with a spread of four feet and three inches, which he purchased in Africa. The steer from which they were taken weighed 900 pounds.
An implement which would cause the prohibitory legislator's mouth to water, is the "lagger-head" shown by M. W. Stickney, who got it of David Miller, who had it of Landlord Paul Chase. It belonged to the old Brattleboro days and many a glass of flip has it warmed for the guests of that famous old hostelrie. Another interesting thing shown by Mr. Stickney was a letter written by Silas Hamilton, the first representative of Whitingham to James Roberts of Greenfield in 1782.
Geo. Clark shows an interesting relic in an old tavern sign bearing masonic symbols and the name of "R. Clark." This sign is said to have hung on the old tavern which stood where the Stebbens place now stands on Canal street. Mrs. C. Squires exhibits an old loom with a carpet in process of construction, also a bed quilt 200 years old. Mrs. Clinton Pettee an article called a "rundlet," used as a water flask, taken from a house 102 years old; R. M. Pratt of Dummerston elk's horns taken from an animal killed at Red Lake, Minnesota, by an Indian; Mrs. K. Haskins a picture of an old Indian house built by Ensign John Sheldon who settled in Deerfield in 1684; Mrs. J. L. Saulsbury a jug, spectacle case, and a number of articles woven in linen; A. A. Jones a reel, and C. A. Tripp a very old spinning wheel and reel; Mrs. S. Miller a curious looking machine for breaking flax and another for weaving tape; Mrs. W. L. Walker a chair 150 years old; H. M. Cutting, a shovel and tongs--"very antique"; Mrs. E. M. White candlestick and snuffers, and a pocket inkstand believed to be over 100 years old formerly owned among the Lebanon Shakers also a table made by the Lebanon Shakers 150 years ago; Mrs. T. N. Lynde of Guilford three books printed in 1782; Mrs. Crosier snuffers and tray 100 years old; Grace J. Lynde, a pewter platter 150 years old brought from Rutland, Mass., to Brattleboro by Johnson Lynde in 1804, candle moulds and table fork and pewter teaspoon also an iron teaspoon 175 years old. Dr. Ketchum shows an old deed in a frame the date of deed Sept. 26 1752, and signed with the name "Washington". Mrs. E. F. Evans Halifax shows a nice fire set 100 years old, Mrs. H. F. Stevenson a warming pan originally owned by Mrs. Marsh founder of the Vermont Asylum; P. J. Farnsworth of Fairfax a Bible printed in 1791 and a quaint looking toasting iron. Everything in this department was of great interest and certainly a great and valuable addition to the fair. More room should be arranged for it another year, lack of space being its only drawback.
Brattleboro Reformer, October 1, 1890.
Valley Fairs had antiques exhibitions.